Saturday 14 July 2012

When life gives you lemons...

...make lemon curd! Obviously! Although life did't give me lemons, I bought them in Asda. Lovely big juicy unwaxed affairs they were too. Mmmmmm......

This morning, along with a nice cup of Earl Grey, I had this for breakfast:


And at the risk of blowing my own trumpet, I am in heaven!!  It's a home made bran scone, half topped just with butter, half topped with a little butter and a good dollop of home made lemon curd. I had a lovely day playing in the kitchen yesterday!

I had a conversation with my friend, Lynne, about bran scones (oh, yes. We're that interesting!) and how the bakers always seem to be sold out of them.  I've never seen them in the supermarket, so I thought I would hunt down a recipe and have a bash at them.  From Googling it, a lot of recipes suggested that this is a Scottish dish, which hadn't occurred to me. So if you have no connections with Scotland but have had a bran scone I would love to know!

I used the recipe here ---> http://www.food.com/recipe/scottish-bran-scones-117596 and used natural wheat bran, which I prefer to oat bran and gives the scones the nice dark flecking through them.  The dough was very wet and soft (I was a bit heavy handed with the milk!), but I played around with it and added a bit more flour and bran until it was a little more pliable.  It was probably still a bit too wet as I ended up baking it for almost double the time in the recipe, but it was well worth it!



The scones are lovely and soft.  I warmed one for my breakfast earlier and it was just lovely.  I'll definitely make them again.

As for the home made lemon curd, I made that as part of what turned out to be one of the most delicious desserts I have ever tasted, and that deserves its very own blog post!  Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment